Having a Windows Phone7 smartphone and would like to create a backup of all your precious text messages? Then we will guide you in the due course of this article on how to do the same. Unfortunately, this process of backing up is not as simple as that of Android as you in your WP7 you need to side load the SMS Backup application while in Android you can download similar app from the Google’s PLAY Store. The best part of the SMS backup is that just in case if data gets lost in the process of updating the firmware, you can easily restore back. We recommend you to bookmark this page so that you can immediately refer on how to backup & restore sms.
Disclaimer: Neither we, nor developer should be held responsible for any damage happened to your device in the process of following the instructions mentioned in this article. It’s very unlikely that there will be any issues but just in case if at all there are any issues then we are committed to help you in solving the same.
Tutorial to Backup & Restore SMS in Windows Phone 7:
- First up you need to Download SMS Backup & Restore app* from here to your computer or phone directly. If you download it in your computer then you need to place the downloaded file in your device. We recommend you to download straightaway from here to your phone.
- Now, open the file which you have placed in your phone which will then install this SMS Backup app in your device. Open the SMS Backup app and go to the option of “Export & Backup” page and then navigate to the option of “Backup”.
- Now, tap on the “Backup store.vol” buttom for backing up “store.vol” and then the file will be copied to “BackupVols/store.vol” in IsolateStorage, you can use any IsolateStorage tool to download it to your computer(the same with PimIndex.vol).
- Now, just in case if you wish to restore back the SMS, then you need to find the store.vol and PimIndex.vol which you have already backed up.
- After this, open the SMS Backup app and navigate to the same page in step 1. Click “Restore store.vol” button, then click “Restore PimIndex.vol”. When both have executed. Restart your phone immediately.
- Do let us know just in case if you face any issues in the comments section as we will surely help you with the same. Also, additionally you can refer to the source link mentioned below if there is any urgent issue. All the SMSes in Windows Phone actually stored at “\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Stores\DeviceStore\store.vo l” which is an EDB database.
*In case the download link doesn’t work, here is the alternate Link to download SMS Backup & Restore app for WP7